Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mr. Independent

My son turned into an independent little man today. His new favorite "toys" are all of the new Sesame Street books that mommy found at Target (Dollar Section - what, what!). I've gotten somewhat exhausted from reading them over and over and over. I practically known them by memory. However, Elliot does not get tired of them. It definitely warms my heart that he's loving books, but when he wants to be read to, you must stop what you're doing, sit down, put him in your lap and read. Today was different. Today, he handed me the book, asked to be picked up and put on the couch (in Elliot-ese), moved from my lap to next to me on the couch, took the book from me and started "talking" to the book and turning the pages. I can only imagine that he was "reading" to himself.

It was amazing! I was so proud of him for being able to entertain himself with the book, and at the same time was a little broken hearted that my boy no longer wanted me to read to him. I tried to take the book from him at one point, saying, "want mommy to read to you?". He emphatically shook his head, saying "no!" and went back to his happy page turning. I guess it helps that he adores "Elmo" ("Ahh-Mo!") and can point him out in every book. So the question is now - why did we spend so much money on toys when apparently the greatest toys are the $1 books? I'll never understand kids!

2 comments:

  1. Must've inherited the love of books and reading from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Dad liked magazines that were pointed to things he liked--The Rolling Stones, etc.
    But, I really love him reading--his giberish is more like twin talk--we just don't get the true meaning yet.
    Love you all and all his pictures, videos, chats, etc ,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete