Last Saturday Elliot surprised us by getting from a sitting position to a standing position, followed by taking a couple of steps before falling into the arms of myself and/or Sam. Each day he has progressed to taking a few more steps. Now, for me, the walking is really exciting. It means that we have more opportunities to play outside and he doesn't always have to be carried, won't necessarily be just sitting around in the dirt and can really begin to experience more of what the world has to offer.
Sam, on the other hand, is scared to death that he has started walking. Sam sees more falls in Elliot's future, a child that is much harder to wrangle and keep still as well as the fact that this is something that he can't unlearn. I have tried my best not to focus on the falls - he's a little boy, they're bound to fall. Besides, scars build character.
What I wasn't prepared for was the confidence that comes along with walking. This confidence has translated into climbing. Climbing on us, climbing on the couch, climbing on his walking toys, climbing over the step-stool. Last night, Sam caught him climbing his dragon walker, standing on the walker's head (about 2 feet at least from the ground) and attempting to climb INTO his pack n play. His teachers at school reported catching him climb to the top of his chair and stand on a tray used for food. Oy, this little boy is gonna give me a heart attack!
So, as much as I look forward to the positives of Elliot walking, I can definitely see Sam's side of things. I plan to try not to be a hovering mom, letting him fall so that he can learn. Unfortunately, I foresee stitches in our future...
No comments:
Post a Comment