A lot has changed since the last post of this blog. My pregnancy went as well as could have been expected. I had gestational diabetes which I managed beautifully and our amazing Elliot Simon Levine was born on Monday, November 22, 2010 at 11:22 am, weighing in at 8 lbs, 4 oz and 21 inches long. Not too bad for our 38 w 1 d baby boy. Elliot had a few complications after birth as he was unable to get rid of the fluid in his lungs. I was unable to see him for about 5-7 hours. My amazing husband stayed by his side in the nursery and my mom stayed by mine as I began to recover from my planned c-section. I had a planned c-section because we were told that Elliot would be well over 10 pounds given that his head was measuring about the size of a 43 week old fetus. His head never descended and as it turns out, this was the best decision for us. My pubic bone seemed to have fused on top of itself, which would have never allowed me to have a natural birth.
I did so great in recovery and was walking less than 12 hours later. So after only two nights in the hospital they sent us home. We came home the day before Thanksgiving, which was such a relief. I really didn't want us to spend our first Thanksgiving as a family in a hospital room.
The day after Thanksgiving, we had an appointment with the pediatrician to make sure that Elliot was doing well. Unfortunately, we were told that he had jaundice and that he was losing weight. They gave me two days to try to feed him more, which entailed waking him every two hours and putting him in the sun for a bit every day. Two days later, he was getting better, but not fast enough. My heart broke when I was told to supplement with formula at least 1-2 ounces every day until we saw the doctor at the two week appointment.
It's funny, weight gain has always been an issue for Elliot - apparently he didn't get that from me. I'm a fantastic weight gainer! Try as I might, my milk supply was low. I ate tons of oatmeal, took lots of Fenugreek and my supply was "ok". I'll tell you, breastfeeding my son may have been the most stressful thing that I have ever done in my life and although at times I felt like a failure and that I wanted to quit, I successfully nursed him for 13 months!!
So, we've hit many many milestones over the last almost two years since I started this blog. We have an amazing family of three now and are even beginning to talk about baby #2 (not this year!!). Elliot is the light of my life and I couldn't imagine life without him. My goal is to try to utilize this little slice of cyberspace to keep an ongoing journal of my thoughts regarding my growing child. I'm sure I'll also include a number of pictures/videos/milestones that my son is achieving.
Looking forward to continuing to share Levine Family News!!
No comments:
Post a Comment